German WWII Luftwaffe Flak Badge-This anti-aircraft badge is a mid-war unmarked example, with excellent details and still in very nice condition with light plating remaining. Pin assembly functions properly.
History: The Anti-Aircraft Flak Battle Badge was instituted on the 10th of January 1941 by Hermann Göring in his capacity as the Command and Chief of the Luftwaffe. The badge was awarded to servicemen of the Flak Artillery who distinguished themselves bravely in action against enemy aerial or ground attacks. If the candidates' battery brought down an enemy aircraft, then the crew members were awarded four points. If two batteries were involved, then each battery received two points. Both officers and crews were eligible for the badge. The commanding officer for an anti-aircraft unit was eligible for the badge once half of his men also qualified for the badge. Bestowal of the award was originally rendered on a point structure system, with sixteen points required to be presented this badge, although the criteria was modified during the war. Interesting note, the flak arm is often viewed as a secondary arm of service within the Luftwaffe when in fact during the war between one half and two thirds of all Luftwaffe served in it. The award was also available to searchlight crews and sound-locator crews. Searchlight and sound-locator crews which assisted in the action by detection of aircraft could be awarded one point each. The German Army had a similar badge, however, earning points towards it were only awarded for the downing of aircraft and not for ground targets. Designed by Wilhelm Ernst Peekhaus, the badge was of single piece construction with a pin back and clasp. It was made in one grade; it had a Luftwaffe eagle at the top, and an oak leaf wreath around the outside rim. In the middle was an 88 mm flak gun with the barrel facing upwards to the right.